Friday, July 18, 2008

A Hymn Of Painful Love

Oh God! My Lord; The Almighty!
Glimpse at Your feet
It’s me, your subservient being
Kneeling down; kissing Thy ground
Bowing my head in Thy reverence
Thy will be done, my Lord
But listen; understand
Heed to this petition of Thy servant
Thou createst us with love
But oh my Sovereign Lord
It is through love that Thy creation
Dost destroyeth themselves
Thou make us feel love
Through the smothering hands of nature
It was with love that Thou nourished us
In our mothers’ wombs
Thou made us understand love
Through Thy blessings
Through the concern of our fathers
Through the love of our mothers
Through the voice of our beloveds
Thou gave us love
As a sentiment, distinct from all
Love-Thy holy water through which
We could rinse our sins
Love-Thy silk robe with which
We could hide our nakedness
Love-A monastery, a mandir, a mosque
Where we could seek asylum
Irrespective of our faith, cast and creed
Love-A wind that could quiver
The strings of our hearts
And produce silvery melodies
Love-A path that could lead us
To Thy beautiful kingdom
Love-A beacon that could enlighten our profundity
Love-A fire that could melt the stoniest cores
Love-The downpour of heaven
That could fertilize the barren land of our emotions
Love-An inspiration that guideth the Prophets
But….
This isn’t love to us any more
This isn’t how we perceive love
Love is that deadly dream that awoke me
Last night and it dawned upon me
Love has begun to lose
Its purity and sanctity
It’s approached in the name of lust
My Lord! My eternal refuge!
My tormented entity was shaking and screaming
Love-Thy holy water that we stigmatized
Thy silk robe that we teareth
That hidest not anything
But exposes our nakedness
Not a monastery, a mosque, a mandir
But ruins… mourning death of humanity
Trapped air, suffocation and death
A path forgotten and lost
An obscurity whose shadows engulf
Our bodies and murder our profundity
A fire that blazeth our homes
A downpour of acid that gives
Nothing but non-healing sores; rejuvenating wounds
An ignorance that led people to stone the Prophets
Love-Bloodshed, torture, assassination
Depravity, denial, crucifixion
My Lord! Take me in Thy hands
Let me take refuge in You
Draw a curtain, a veil my Lord!
Grant a share of Thy light to my eyes
Let me see only the purity
And sanctity of love
The reverent, devout love-Eternal beauty, my Lord!
Love that bows not in front of humanity
But love that is spiritual exaltation and elevation

No comments: